There are an estimate 8,000 horses in Boulder County not to mention the cattle, goats, sheep, swine and other livestock. An average horse generates 5 cubic feet (350 lbs.) of manure per week, which over a year adds up to 2 million cubic feet (9 tons) of manure that must be handled and disposed of in some manner. This does not include soiled stable bedding. Used properly manure is a great soil amendment, otherwise it can become a water pollutant, spread disease or cause insect issues.
- Best Management Practices for Manure Utilization
- AFO BMPs
- Am I an AFO or a CAFO ?
- Avoid CAFO Status
- CAFO groundwater requirements
- Colorado Comprehensive Nutrient Management Plan Workbook (use to account for nutrient loading in soil from manure)
- Composting Animal Manures
- Composting Horse Manure for Environmental & Economic Benefits