Visit our Colorado State Extension office for more news, tools and resources.

Close Icon
The Extension office provides assistance and programs for the community in five main areas: Agriculture, Horticulture, Family and Consumer Science, Natural Resources and 4-H Youth Programs.

Weeds   arrow


In simple terms a weed is just a plant out of place, however, managing some of these weeds is not a simple task. Noxious weeds are invasive non-native plants whose control is mandated by law. These plants pose a serious threat to our native habitats, impact recreation and agriculture. They have displaced 130 native Colorado plants on 553,163 acres* in Colorado (*Colorado Dept of Agriculture).


Biological Weed Management (Insects)

Chemical Weed Management

Colorado Department of Agriculture Pesticides Program


Cultural Weed Management- A Healthy Stand of Grasses is the Best for Weed Suppression

We have a section about reseeding in our pasture management page here.




Mechanical Weed Management

Organic Weed Management

  • ATTRA Weed Control Publications
  • Cornell Organic Weed Mgt Website
  • Acetic Acid (“Vinegar”) Herbicides
    Household, culinary vinegar is 5% acetic acid. While this concentration can provide some management, most commercial weed management products are 8-25% acetic acid.WHILE PERCEIVED AS LESS TOXIC HERBICIDES, THESE ACETIC ACID PRODUCTS HAVE HUMAN HEALTH HAZARDS THAT SHOULD BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY. WEAR APPROPRIATE PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT (PPE) – EYE/FACE SHIELD, RESPIRATOR, CHEM GLOVES, CHEM APRON, ETC.Acetic acid concentrations over 11% can cause burns upon skin contact. Eye contact can result in severe burns and permanent corneal injury. The 25% acetic acid concentrations registered through EPA and the states for commercial use all have restricted entry intervals of 48 hours and list personal protection equipment to be used by the applicator.

Product Label Info

Colorado State University

Weed ID Service

You may submit weed samples in our office for identification. Review “Guidelines” and fill out “ID Form”. Call 303-678-6238 with questions.

Weed Law